Target, It's About Time

24850_Shop the Nate Berkus Collection Exclusively at Target + Spend $50 Get Free Shipping on Select

I was asked on Facebook if I knew when Target was opening. I was told earlier this year the store would reopen just before Black Friday which is smart on the retailer's behalf.  Well folks, Christmas has come early for many of us who have gone far too long without our beloved Target.

Officially, the store opens today, but unofficially has been open since at least last Thursday. A few Facebook Friends have already stopped in and have given me a little feedback on the store.  Here's what they're saying:

Valeria missed the clearance items. (Me too!)
Elina's home has had less unnecessary cute things in her house since Target closed last spring.
Chris thinks the layout is too much and not enough at the same time.
Maria thinks Starbucks is a plus


As VS Son and I got out of the car and walked toward my retail Mecca, I noticed the Target logo on the side of the building.   The logo says it all, but it doesn't say enough.  Was the Target shut down for the entire summer just for a remodel or to transform into a Super Target?  It's a bit unclear, however the reason the media reported/speculated was to union bust.  I don't know.


Remember those rusty, broken down carts Target USED to have?  They now have plastic carts which appear to be a bit bigger. Let's hope they stay nice and clean!


What's also new is the big red balls positioned right in front of the doors.  I don't know if this is the new thing for Targets now, Westbury has a few as well, or if this is a way to deter theives from rolling their pick ups through the front door, driving to the electronics department and loading their pick ups with HD flatscreens.  I sized up the space and concluded that I could drive my SUV right through the space so I don't think security was on their mind when they placed these in front of the doors.


What's also new is the big red balls positioned right in front of the doors.  I don't know if this is the new thing for Targets now, Westbury has a few as well, or if this is a way to deter theives from rolling their pick ups through the front door, driving to the electronics department and loading their pick ups with HD flatscreens.  I sized up the space and concluded that I could drive my SUV right through the space so I don't think security was on their mind when they placed these in front of the doors.  Excuse me, I mean door.  Target has taken away one entrance and now we must enter/exit through the same area.  Why?  I don't know.


Right smack in the front of the store at the entrance are our beloved favorites.  The $1 aisle!!  This is one of THE best ideas any store could ever have.  Ever.


I think King Kullen and Pathmark are going to be in a bit of trouble.  Target has a refrigerated area complete with organic milk, eggs, cheeses, hors douvres, fruit, and yogurt to name a few.  I was elated!  I bought a few items and even glanced at the Horizon Organic milk that we buy which I believe cost just $3.89! 


The grocery area has been expanded to give us a greater selection.  I stood in the center of the main aisle and took a photo to the left of this section...


...and to the right.  Wow.  I. Am. Happy.


But best of all, Nate Berkus has returned to Valley Stream.  Oh, how I love Nate Berkus.  I was actually at his show's first taping which was a little rusty.  He was still finding his legs which were eventually cut off.  The show got cancelled but thankfully we can still find his favorite finds in Target at an affordable price.  Did you know that a Valley Stream Family was featured on his show?

Leaving Target I noticed the parking lot was changed.  Why?  No idea but entering off of Sunrise is still easy. It's leaving that isn't.  I guess it's to alleviate back up near Green Acres Mall.  It will take a little getting used to so be forewarned.  I think the area will get even busier once Olive Garden opens.

What's also different?

  • There are staggered check out counters the remind me of the downtown Brooklyn store which I hated.
  • There is a Starbucks!
  • I don't recall seeing a pharmacy but that doesn't mean it's not there.  I rarely saw anyone in line anyway.
  • The toy area is sort of tucked away near bedding/home.  I'm okay with that.  I was able to move VS Son by the area without a meltdown. 

I would tell you the daily store hours but I can't find it on the website.  I can't find any store info on the website.  What's up with that?  Oh well.  I'm just glad Target is back.

Hopefully the toilet issue will be resolved the next time I visit.  It was a little stinky and they had to shut the store down early on Friday.  I think someone "stunk it up" as my little ones say.  Wonder where they learned that phrase?




0 comments:

Post a Comment