Remembering Our Veterans


As a kid many moons ago, I remember going on a family trip to Washington D.C. with our church.  It was an extremely hot weekend but very memorable.  I recall feeding the pigeons peanuts on the steps of the Capital Building. I remember meeting the White House butler inside of the White House during the Carter Administration.  We even have a photo which is tucked away in my parents home in Ohio. 
I also remember visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and thinking, what is all the hullabaloo over this?  Now I understand.  What I once thought was one guy in a tomb years ago, I now understand that the tomb is symbolic of the soldiers missing and unknown service members of four wars.

Here are a few facts to share with your children about the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Veterans Day.

In honor of Veterans Day, here is a coloring page and craft to share with the kids in honor of this special day.  I am also including a link to an article running in this week's Valley Stream Herald honoring a few of the Veterans in the community. 




Follow Valley Stream Mom on Facebook or on Twitter @valleystreammom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment