My Summer Camp Experience

At the end of spring, we knew we wanted to enroll our eldest into summer camp in the village and narrowed it down to Valley Stream School District 13's camp housed at Dever Elementary School and Camp Barrett Park run by the village. We decided on District 13 because I felt better about participating in a camp that had an actual building to house all the students in case of inclement weather. It didn't dawn on me that I could just keep her home if the weather was bad. That was the only basis. Nothing else. I hadn't really heard much about the playground otherwise so why one would be better than the other? So off to District 13 summer camp we go.


When it all boils down to it, my child had a good time and other than coming home with dirty feet everyday she returned to me the same way I dropped her off each morning. I’m still unclear as to why her feet were so dirty everyday but if she didn’t mind (and her feet were dry before getting in my car), I have no complaints. I even made a friend in the process that happens to live right around the corner from me. Shout out to TMC!

What really stood out about the camp was Dr. Adrienne Robb-Fund, newly appointed District Superintendent, personally greeted every child/parent to inform them of the boil water advisory the day ecoli/bacteria was found in N. Valley Stream's water supply. Personal touches go a long way with me. It was also good to meet some of the kids who would attend school with my eldest. Aside from blatantly feeling the Franklin Square/Valley Stream kid divide, many of the other moms were very nice and friendly. I mean, I’m not a fan either of my children having to attend one school for Kindergarten and another for first grade through sixth but since you never know what friendships may develop, let’s just treat everyone the same regardless of their address.

So in summary, I would recommend this summer camp as an option as long as you are not a stickler for organization, clean restrooms, don’t need confirmation that your kid can attend prior to the start of camp, and need information on the camp experience (other than word of mouth) before leaving your child with strangers. If you are okay with this, then this camp is a good option for you.

I encourage you to share your summer camp recommendations here and/or give feedback.

Follow me on Twitter @valleystreammom or on Facebook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment