Who Should Teach the National Anthem? Me or School?

Last week my daughter had her very first Daisy (or is it Daisies?) meeting.  She was so excited and couldn't wait to go.  She said she was going to go to the meeting first and then go to school.  Eeerp!  Wait, what?  No, honey you can't do that?  Why?  Because the meeting is after school, that's why. She was a bit disappointed but she understood.



The meeting lasted for an hour and opened up with the girls reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.  My baby said it proudly because she knew this. I was there.  But when it came to singing the National Anthem, that was a different story.  My heart broke as I saw the look on her face.  She didn't know the words.  In the last two schools she attended they sang "God Bless America" after the Pledge of Allegiance.  Why haven't they taught the kids to sing the National Anthem?  I do recall a kid or two in my elementary school who abstained from reciting the Pledge of Allegiance but don't recall whether or not they also abstained from the National Anthem.

Is it our responsibility to teach our children the country's song or is it the school's responsibility?  Either way my baby will know the words by her next meeting.  Now that I know she wasn't prepared, it IS my responsibility to make sure she is prepared next time.

It definitely won't be the Rosie O'donell version either.

Follow Valley Stream Mom on Facebook or on Twitter @valleystreammom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment