My 1-Minute Conversation w/Michelle Obama: Pt. 1

Over a week ago, my dear husband bought me a ticket to a political fundraiser out here on Long Island with Michelle Obama as the speaker.  Little did I know that the table I was to be placed at filled with strangers would be dead center in front of the stage where a woman whom I deeply admire as a woman, wife, and mother would stand a few feet away.

FLOTUS is holding my hand....

After she spoke to the room firing us up for this year’s election, she told us that this election was about 4th graders (all students).  It’s about making sure the Pell Grant was available so that our 4th graders can attend college and not graduate with massive debt like both Michelle and I.  It is about empowering and keeping teachers in the classroom.  This election is about jobs, and much more.  This speech really got my attention because I want to see all children succeed in life. When her speech ended, after she shared her love for Barack and how she fell in love with his character, as I did my husband, she left the stage and began to shake hands with the audience.  I was one of those people thanks to Lynbrook swim coach T.J. Moore who graciously gave me his space in the receiving line.

Still talking...

As I stood patiently waiting for FLOTUS to reach me, I sat there wondering what in the world am I going to say to her?  To my immediate left was former Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi who I need to apologize to.  I knew who he was but was so focused on FLOTUS that I didn't fully engage in conversation with him the way I should have but, I was star struck at the moment.  The last time I saw her in the White House, I asked her to come closer to take a photo with me, but being that I was in the second row of the auditorium, I was unable to.  She said I needed to come down a row, but had to keep moving.  I missed that opportunity.  I wasn't missing out on this one.  I didn’t just want to say,“Thank you.”  I didn’t want to miss out on an opportunity to make this meeting with the first African American First Lady of the United States significant.  I wanted to have a story to tell my daughter, to tell my children and grandchildren about the time I met an historical icon.  I met the FIRST African American First Lady of the United States.



The morning of this event, I had just attended a PTA meeting where the parents were hammering the speaker about the new school lunch mandate.  Bingo!  That’s what I can talk with her about.  And that’s what I did. I'll tell you how the conversation went...tomorrow. Gotta run!

Follow Valley Stream Mom on Facebook or on Twitter @valleystreammom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment