Quests for the Crown

Photo Courtesy of Long Island Newsday

Unless you live under a rock, you know by now that all eyes will be on Belmont Park for the Belmont Stakes where money will be won, or lost, on the horse races.  The Triple Crown is at stake for favored horse I'll Have Another, which I feel like saying many times right before I snap back into reality.  What you may not know is that the park is kid friendly.

With the exception of this weekend, Breakfast at Belmont invites children and their families in for an inexpensive, enjoyable breakfast while watching early morning training of the thoroughbreds.  After breakfast, guests can then ride the free tram through the stables, enjoy a free Paddock Show (what is that?), and join in a free Starting Gate demonstration.  How fun is that?  Breakfast at Belmont is only available every weekend and holiday between April 27 - July 15 from 7 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.  I guess I better get crackin' on this before it's too late.

There is also a backyard area at Belmont where children can play on the playground and the duck pond while parents gamble away their college funds.  Just kidding.  I'm sure it's all safe and dandy, but there's just something about leaving my kid near a duck pond while I watch the horse races that just doesn't sit well with me.  But that's just me.  Parking is free but once breakfast is over, park attendants kick you out prior to the scheduled races.  You may enter, but must pay an entry fee to do so.

***********************

Another crown is being sought after by Valley Stream's very own Angelica Grace Webster, a 16 year old Junior at Central High School.  Next week she will represent Valley Stream during the Miss New York Outstanding Teen Scholarship Pageant on Staten Island along with 16 other young ladies from around the state.  Categories of competition include Lifestyle and Fitness, Performing Talent, Judges Interview, Evening Gown, and Onstage Q & A.

Last summer, I attended one of Strong Side Studio's talent nights at the Valley Stream Band Shell.  As I approached the event, a young lady sang one of my favorite songs, "Home" from the Wiz.  I immediately perked up watching her every move and hanging onto her every note.  Flawless.  I watched how she interacted with her friends and family afterwards and eventually approached her.  I decided to coach her and prepare her for the pageant.  I have been a pageant director for years and saw something in her.  I have an outstanding track record in coaching girls for pageantry, but I'll took my horn in another post.

Tonight at Sip This, as her pageant coach (not Valley Stream Mom), I will be hosting a "Sip & See" Send Off party honoring her commitment to this competition and her platform, Arts in Education: Keeping the Curtain Raised.  She is a performing arts major at Central High School and will tell tonight's audience why it is important to keep the arts in our schools.  She will be performing a few songs highlighting her amazing vocal ability, previewing some of her pageant wardrobe, receiving a citation from Valley Stream's Mayor Edward Fare, and thanking her sponsors who helped her prepare for the show.

You are welcome to attend as well as this is a free public event.  If you are moved to make a donation to help offset her pageant expenses, we will gladly accept.  And WHEW, are there expenses!!  Kids can come meet Miss Valley Stream OT and leave with an autographed photo of Angelica.  Who knows?  She very well could become the next Miss New York Outstanding Teen and/or Miss America's Outstanding Teen!

"Sip & See" Send Off Party
Sip This Coffee Shop
64 Rockaway Avenue - Valley Stream
Time: 7:30 p.m.

To become sponsor, send an email to missvalleystream@gmail.com for details.

Follow Valley Stream Mom on Facebook or on Twitter @valleystreammom.



0 comments:

Post a Comment