Autism Awareness Month - Autism into Art


There are so many stories on social media and the Internet about Autism Awareness Month.  I will do my best to share the stories as they become available.  I do not have any Autistic children but I do know a few families right here in Valley Stream who do.  Let's all do our best to learn more about Autism and how to spot the signs of this disorder.

A few weeks ago I was sitting in the dentist's office where a mother and her daughter who appeared to be about the same age as my daughter were sitting as well.  This little girl's voice was very crisp and clear and slightly louder than most.  I wondered why she chose to sit next to her mother and not in the play room with the other children.  As she spoke, I noticed that she spoke in 3-word sentences.  It didn't phase me at first until she repeatedly spoke in 3-word sentences which made me start to wonder.  Her mother was extremely patient and I thought for a moment, why is mom speaking to her daughter as if she were a 2 year old who wouldn't keep still.  I later realized that this child must be Autistic.  Now, I can't say that I have had 1-on-1 interaction with an Autistic child but I have seen them from across the room at church.  I also know from watching Parenthood what Asperger's looks like. For lack of a better analogy, there are many faces of Autism.  I know it takes a special parent to care for an Autistic child so mom's and dad's, keep up the good work!

Siobhan's Story - Autism into Art

Follow Valley Stream Mom on Facebook or on Twitter @valleystreammom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment